Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Rare disease day... the perfect date!


Today (Feb 28th) is Rare Disease Day - it also happens to be exactly 6 years ago since I had my scapular muscle reattachment surgery (very rare! I was the 270th person in the world to have the surgery, performed by the surgeon who created it & was the only surgeon performing it in 2012). It was the first step on what is still a long journey of rehab & recovery.

(N.B. I will try to fix these photos at some point, my photo editing programme on my tablet kept stopping; they do show my dimmed screen.... explained below. Not deliberate!)


'Shoulder stuff'


I write this as I am infusing IV antibiotics into the PICC line I've now had for 9 months to treat Lyme Disease - another rare disease... or under-diagnosed, even Google is a bit confused here: 


??????????????????????

Newest Lyme treatment - hard-going, but I think I am slowly...
tentatively... making some good progress


In the past 6 years, following my shoulder surgery, as we 'peeled back the layers of the onion'; I've seen many doctors, surgeons, physiotherapists &  other medical practitioners. I've been given various other rare diagnoses including Thoracic Outlet Syndrome & Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS/ RSD).  All from a simple slip on the stairs, 'saving myself' as my body weight hung and torqued from one arm - my once-strong arms, wrecked by several years of severe illness, combined with still-hyperflexible shoulders was a bad combination. On my list of identified injuries (suspected incomplete), some chronic or ongoing, others transient: 'inferior shoulder dislocation' (0.5% of shoulder dislocations) - my arm stuck up in the air, still holding the railing about 3 inches higher than I can actually reach. One physiotherapist summed it up best: "if you didn't have skin, you'd have ripped your arm off."  Some other injuries that occurred in that split second: brachial plexopathy & 'overstretching' injuries to my entire upper right side nerve network; various muscle tears, pulls & strains; other soft tissue damage, including damage to my fascia; & bone injuries, including a scapular fracture (they account for <5% of fractures, just FYI). So dear every doctor I may see in my life - if you hear hooves, think freaking unicorn!!


Photo excuse: sometimes being ill means being stuck in bed.
(I did not seek this out for this post!! I did play with silly Facebook filters. 😜)


Just to reinforce this point, in case it needed it, I've started to sweat in colour... neon yellow and light orange, specifically. I'm pretty sure it's linked with my nerve injury, which can cause very localized sweating; although initially I guessed it was perhaps linked to medication - nope! When I eventually decided to ask another crazy question neither my mum (in her professional capacity), my doctor, nor my PT had ever heard of it.  Although the response now is 'of course you probably have it... if it's a thing' ... And guess what?! It is. It has a name: 'chromhydrosis'  (the linguist in me would like another vowel in there).  I hadn't even turned to Google, it seemed so ridiculous; a PT student searched for it and my PT laughed (maybe with kind exasperation?!) as he read "very rare, incidence unknown". So, UNICORN!!


Added to the messy shoulder + Lyme mix has been post-concussion syndrome (/'minor traumatic brain injury' - 'minor' refers only to the amount of time spent unconscious /disoriented); a delayed diagnosis, but caused by my car accident 2+ years ago when my tyre blew out at 70mph and my car did an actual side somersault. Isn't my karma fantastic?! Urgh!  I haven't really talked much about that. I don't think I've written about it on here at all.  It's hard to think about, honestly; but getting some answers I didn't know I was looking for, and realising things I didn't know I'd been thinking (/worried) about has taken up a large part of the past few months.  Essentially I spent almost 2 years just trying to 'power through' a brain injury.  The post-concussion treatment I just started last November has been incredibly challenging, but it made me realise I have many head injury symptoms I hadn't even realised were symptoms - and they've been really severely affecting my life. Knowing they can be treated, and seeing some good improvements in some areas already has actually brought me a lot of relief. Not recognising symptoms in yourself is actually a symptom - I think that is a perfect definition of 'headfuck' - in every way!

It's one (huge) reason I've struggled to blog much... or to read, write, or use my laptop - my 'screentime' has been limited to a smaller tablet screen, dimmed, with an app that removes blue light to prevent my headaches hitting the highest intensity. I'm seeing little signs of improvement, so hopefully I can keep that going and get back to writing again.

 Additionally, the accident sparked my major Lyme relapse (not unusual); this really blurred the lines a lot between head injury symptoms, and fatigue & headaches that Lyme disease causes.  There is a lot I need to untangle - physically and figuratively.
  



Ultimately, I am making progress. I'm extremely grateful for the help & support I have, and access to treatment that is working. I'm grateful for the doctors & medics who think outside the box and look for the crazy things when nothing else makes sense. Progress seems slow, but when I think of how things were a year ago, 2 years ago, 6 years ago... I am still moving forward, I am still working hard, and that is all anyone can ever do.

Real progress!
Working a lot on flexibility,  lower body strength,
and increasing my shoulder & arm movements with supported movement 


There are many types of 'rare disease' & they suffer from reduced funding & awareness because they are rare. Diagnosis takes longer, and treatment is often trial and error - I am well aware!  The majority of illnesses are 'invisible illnesses' (or can be hidden); please, where you can, be kind, choose to listen to someone & believe them, even if they 'don't look ill'; support is sometimes the best thing you can offer a friend.









10 comments:

  1. As a sign of gratitude for how my husband was saved from Lymes, i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My husband suffered Lymes and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because he was my all and the symptoms were terrible, we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure him. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony of so many people who was cured from Lymes , and so many other with similar body problem, and they left the contact of this doctor who had the herbal cure to Lymes. I never imagined Lymes has a cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my husband will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my husband used it and in one months he was fully okay even up till this moment he is so full of life.Lymes has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on drwilliams098675@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks for reading my testimony .    

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm Абрам Александр a businessman who was able to revive his dying lumbering business through the help of a God sent lender known as Benjamin Lee the Loan Consultant. Am resident at Yekaterinburg Екатеринбург. Well are you trying to start a business, settle your debt, expand your existing one, need money to purchase supplies. Have you been having problem trying to secure a Good Credit Facility, I want you to know that Mr Benjamin will see you through. Is the right place for you to resolve all your financial problem because am a living testimony and i can't just keep this to myself when others are looking for a way to be financially lifted.. I want you all to contact this God sent lender using the details as stated in other to be a partaker of this great opportunity Email: lfdsloans@outlook.com  Or  WhatsApp/Text +1-989-394-3740.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I am inspired! Extremely useful information specially the ultimate part :) I maintain such info much. I used to be seeking this particular information for a very lengthy time.
    Thank you and good luck.
    car wreckers logan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing. Wow, that was strange. I just wrote a really long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't show up. Grrrr... well, I'm not writing all that over again. Anyways, just wanted to say fantastic blog!
    accidental car removal sydney

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I am really glad I have found this info. Nowadays bloggers publish just about gossips and internet and this is actually irritating. A good site with interesting content, this is what I need. Thank you for keeping this web site, I'll be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Can not find it.
    North Coast Wreckers Townsville

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you sell your unwanted car to us, You get it removed freely today. Sell your car or truck to us in minutes and your removal is on its way. Get a quote over the phone or online.
    CALL Us: 0499 022 036

    cash for unwanted cars adelaide

    ReplyDelete
  7. At AD Cash For Cars pay top cash for your old, scrap, used, and unwanted cars Adelaide Wide. If you are looking for hassle-free cars for cash services and same-day free car removal.

    cash for scrap cars

    ReplyDelete
  8. We buy any make, model, and vehicle type including cars, vans, SUVs, Utes, jeeps, trucks, and 4WDs. We buy cars from private sellers and auto companies that have vehicles in their fleet that they are looking to sell quickly.


    truck wreckers Canberra

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you are searching for cheap spare parts for cars which are used, we can help you. How to Choose Auto Parts At A1 Car Wreckers Brisbane, you can find the best quality in replacement parts available.We understand how much maintenance a car needs in order to function properly and the overall cost can be pretty expensive. In fact, one of the biggest costs in keeping a car in the perfect working conditions usually lies in the purchase of new parts for a car.


    auto parts brisbane

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice work
    Contact us anytime to sell your car in Canberra Cash For Cars

    ReplyDelete