Monday, January 6, 2014

Inspiration

Unfortunately last night's little 'incident' has ramped my pain back up again so today when my alarm went off and the pain came into focus, I took my tablets and went back to sleep.  Then just alternated between ice and heat for the rest of the day.  It's not the worst pain I've had, (although when I try to reason this out with anyone medical, they always tell me pain is subjective, in that moment - e.g. - don't compare it to the day after surgery; think about right now), but it's so inhibiting. When it was my ankle I could stick a support on it, use crutches and get on with things; my wrist - a cast and/ or sling and pretty much the same. But it's all-consuming pain, it frustrates me to no end that I can't just over-ride it...... and that usually leads to a 'pain happens for a reason, listen to your body' conversation which, unfortunately, is always right. I just feel like a stuck record saying I wish I could just do a hundred exercises a day instead of all this resting.


It's difficult to explain to people.  I look ok - most of the time, when I don't, I generally am not seen by other people, or I do this:
From Pinterest

....and add a cocktail of meds, energy drinks and any form of caffeine available to the makeup.


On days like today, when resting is the only option (that doesn't really make it an option, more of an order - and that's what it feels like: an order issued by my body!), I reflect on things, so my tea bag tag of the day: "inspiration is an unlimited power" seems like a good choice.





And I found lots of inspirational quotes and images on Pinterest, and enjoyed looking through my other ones, but my biggest inspiration today came from somewhere else.  Today I did something I haven't done for a while and Googled "scapular muscle reattachment surgery".  I used to search now and then, wondering if I'd find anyone else writing about it and today I did.  (I also found out that Dr Kibler and Aaron have had a major article about the surgery published in this month's issue of the Journal of Shoulder and Elbow surgery, but it deserves its own post - for another day).

I came across a blog of another story of scapular muscle reattachment surgery called: My Impossible Medical Journey which is truly inspiring. The author, Megan, has had MANY surgeries, including work by Dr K, including scapular muscle reattachment, but she has many more surgeries to face as she has lots of other issues going along with those - all written about on her blog (the name links to it).

I also came across Elizabeth's Shoulder Updates - another story of scapular reattachment surgery, which seems to be a really successful (although long in terms of her injury) story.

Both blogs are inspirational in different ways; and written by truly strong, determined people.  And of course they both make me reflect on my experience too.  It's really interesting to read about other people's experiences.





Both these girls are writing blogs that are sharing so much information and inspiring others.  Hopefully there are other people out there that will find the information helpful - but the three blogs (including mine here now)  illustrate how different everyone's story is - so I wanted to share these blogs because I think they are inspirational, and also because it might help other people by allowing them to compare different experiences.  Like everything else, everyone who has this surgery (or any major life or health issue/ challenge to deal with) has it for an individual reason, and recovers in their own way, and then that fits in with all the associated issues that have also been shown to be highly individual - as more people share their experiences, hopefully others can see where they fit in too.







“Each player must accept the cards life deals him or her: but once they are in hand, he or she alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game.”


   ~ Voltaire

3 comments:

  1. Hello! I received your comment on my blog post. There's no problem with you mentioning it in your post. I am glad you have been able to find it helpful. Feel free to email me at kingmeg19@gmail.com if you want to contact back and forth with our experiences. I wish you the best of luck with your medical journey. Based off of some of the posts you have written, it sounds like you have had it rough too. I hope 2014 brings you better health and much happiness! ~Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thanks for your comment! My email address is gfmjewellery@gmail.com. I've been in touch with one other guy who also had the scapular muscle reattachment surgery and it's been really interesting to share experiences. I have intended to email you this week, but it's kind of been 'one of those weeks', I just wanted to write a quick comment and I will email later. It sounds like 2014 will be a challenge for you, but I hope you have many positives as well, and your treatments lead to some good improvement. Cheers, Gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this to us. I find it so inspiring and helpful.
    inspirational articles

    ReplyDelete