Thursday, February 28, 2013

The World's First Scapula Cake

 (in cyberspace anyway)

One year surgery anniversary!

The world's first scapula cake... according to Google & Pintrest searches


I am actually writing this from physio just now... where we have all enjoyed the scapula cake!

Later update:


One year ago today Dr Kibler reattached my lower trapezius and rhomboid muscles to my scapula.  It has been one rollercoaster of a year and I still have a lot of work to do before I can handstand again... But I have made progress; I am on the road to recovery (bumpy as it may be)... so what better way to celebrate than with cake?! 

 All the baking, mixing and icing made by my Mum (and as delicious as always!) and I managed to do the design myself - mostly left-handed (can I consider acquired ambidexterity to be a benefit of the surgery?!).  I did search online for some design inspiration... apparently nobody's ever made a scapula cake before... imagine that....!  Between appointments at my physio clinic and doctor's surgery today, the cake is now ALL gone!

I wish I could have shared the cake with everyone who has helped me this last year, I am especially thankful to Dr. Ben Kibler and Aaron Sciascia (as well as many additional staff members who dealt with me while I was under anaesthetic/ barely conscious and on follow-up visits) at the Lexington Clinic in Kentucky; Dr. Sami Khella and Marty Kelly, DPT at Penn Presbyterian Medical Center (University of Pennsylvania); Angelo Labrinakos, DPT (and all his wonderful staff) at Kinetic Physiotherapy in Downingtown, PA; Dr. Len Schuchman my American PCP ('GP'); and Dr. Gerry Williams at the Rothman Institute.  

I'm sorry I didn't get to share the cake with you all... I'm sharing the photos instead! I am sincerely thankful for all your ongoing help... and I will be even more thankful when I win my (proposed) cartwheel competition with Angelo one day!


"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it."
  ~ Michelangelo

No comments:

Post a Comment